West Michigan Managed IT Services
Due to the uptick in recent question about enabling a remote workforce, we have compiled the checklist below. Please note while this is not a complete list, it is a great starting point.
Physical Office considerations:
FedEx / UPS deliveries
- Who will receive? Is there anything critical coming?
Locking the building
- Are you using keycard system that unlocks the building automatically.
- How will the main number be answered?
- How will you be transferring calls?
- Should user’s setup call forwarding?
- Consider how this affects phone lines: may utilize two lines for every call.
- Out of office voice message.
- Users should VPN connection performance may be degraded with a large number of users connecting simultaneously.
- Consider contacting your ISP proactively to increase bandwidth.
- Can you answer calls without taking handset home?
- Is the phone system portable? (Cloud or VoIP)?
- Some phone systems allow for desk phones to be taken home and still work
- The phones will need power and will need a power supply that you likely don’t have at your desk today.
- Will your employees know how to connect to the internet? Specifically, if they need to run a cable to a desktop that can’t connect to wireless.
Should users take this home today off their desk? Do you have the necessary hardware to work remotely?
- Docking station
- Keyboard / mouse
- Multiple monitors
- Are you still printing to the office or need a local printer?
- Recognize what software is on-premise in your office vs provided over the Internet (Cloud)
- Recognize performance will be different from home
- Do users know how to connect?
- URL, username & password
- Ensure you have enough VPN licenses
- Avoid employees connecting from personal devices that are not corporate managed
- Remind people to minimize unnecessary bandwidth usage such as streaming music
RDS or Citrix: ensure you have enough licenses
- Recognize some software such as
is not recommended for usage over VPN
- May experience data corruption
- May experience extreme slowness
Communications with employees
- Phone trees and phone number lists
- Messaging among teams
- Consider Webex Meetings